NEW YORK (January 2, 2020) — RIMS, the risk management society®, today announced that Laura Langone, JD, MBA will lead the Society as president for the 2020 term, effective January 1.
Ms. Langone is Head of Insurance Operations at Airbnb, Inc. based in San Francisco. She has been a member of RIMS for 22 years and joined its Board of Directors in 2016. Ms. Langone held many Board positions with the RIMS Silicon Valley Chapter, including serving as president for four years. She also volunteered on several RIMS committees including serving as the chair of the Society’s Enterprise Risk Management Committee in 2015.
Prior to Airbnb, she was the Head of Insurance and Risk Management at PayPal, Inc. and Juniper Networks. Throughout her more than 20-year career in risk management, other prominent positions have included: Director of Risk Management and Assistant Treasurer, Genentech, Inc.; West Coast Life Science Leader, Marsh; Director of Risk Management, Oracle Corporation; and insurance defense practice member, Gordon & Rees, LLP.
“Today’s risk professional can’t afford to be complacent,” said Ms. Langone. “While the world around us evolves, especially with the introduction of new technologies, we must be ready to embrace different perspectives, different strategies and dare ourselves to be different.
“Stepping outside of our comfort zone can be intimidating, but those who are ready for the challenge will find greater opportunities to strengthen their risk programs and elevate their careers. I am beyond excited to serve as RIMS 2020 President and to help ensure this global risk management community has the tools, resources and support that allows us all to dream bigger, aim higher and be different.”
Officers on RIMS 2020 Board of Directors:
- President: Laura Langone, JD, MBA; Head of Insurance Operations, Airbnb, Inc.
- Vice President: Ellen R. Dunkin, Esq.; Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer, Amalgamated Life Insurance Company.
- Treasurer: Patrick Sterling, SPHR, SHRM-SCP; Senior Director, Legendary People and Risk, Texas Roadhouse.
- Secretary: Jennifer Santiago, MBA, RIMS-CRMP, ARM; Assistant Vice President & University Risk Officer, Pennsylvania State University.
New Board Members:
- Twane Duckworth; Chief of Risk Management, City of Jacksonville.
- Tina Gardiner; Manager, Risk Management Services, The Regional Municipality of York (Ontario).
Incumbent Board Members:
- David E. Arick, ARM; Assistant Treasurer, Global Risk Management, International Paper Company.
- Barry Dillard; Director, Risk Strategies, Insurance and Compliance, Walt Disney World Resorts.
- Gary A. Nesbit, CPCU, CSP, ARM, AIC, ALCM, SPHR; Senior Director of Risk Management, Young Life.
- Soubhagya Parija; Senior Vice President and Chief Risk Officer, New York Power Authority.
- Kristen Peed, CPCU, RPLU, CRM, ARM-E, CIC, AAI; Director of Corporate Risk Management, CBIZ, Inc.
- Robert Zhang; Business Risk & Compliance Manager, INGKA China.
- Ex Officio: Gloria Brosius, RIMS-CRMP; Director, Risk Management and Insurance, Pinnacle Agriculture Distributions, Inc.
For more information about RIMS leadership, visit www.RIMS.org.
As the preeminent organization dedicated to promoting the profession of risk management, RIMS, the risk management society®, is a global not-for-profit organization committed to advancing risk management capabilities for organizational success, bringing networking, professional development and education opportunities to its membership of approximately 10,000 risk management professionals who are located in more than 60 countries. Founded in 1950, the Society represents more than 3,500 industrial, service, nonprofit, charitable and government entities throughout the world. For more information on RIMS, visit www.RIMS.org.