Get involved, contribute and get leadership experience by volunteering to serve on a committee.
Purpose of Committees
Guidelines for Standing Committee Appointments
You must be a designated deputy member of RIMS to be a committee member. Associates of the Society, Honorary, Educational and Student members may act as advisors to committees at the discretion of the Chair.
- To provide optimum size of committees for efficient and effective work groups.
- To provide opportunities for the maximum number of deputy members possible to serve on RIMS committees.
- Committee Structure
The Chair and Vice Chair of each committee shall be designated by the Board of Directors. The chair and vice chair shall serve one term and tenure as chair and vice chair, respectively, is limited to two terms.
The committee chair shall appoint the members of the committee. Committees, other than the Executive Committee, Audit Committee and Nominating Committee whose membership is set by RIMS Constitution & Bylaws, may consist of up to twelve members.
Exceptions may be made with the concurrence of the Board of Directors.
- Service on More Than One Committee
Serving on more than one RIMS standing committee simultaneously requires written approval of the Board of Directors; provided, however, that members of RIMS Canada Council may sit on another RIMS standing committee simultaneously without prior approval.
- Committee Tenure
All committee appointments are for one term. Members cannot serve for a total of more than three consecutive terms on any one committee. The exception shall be the appointment as vice chair or chair, which shall not exceed an additional four years of service on any one committee.
- Expense Reimbursement
Reimbursement of committee member expenses is outlined under RIMS Travel & Business Expenses Policy. All committee appointments should be familiar with this policy before accepting a committee post.
Request for exceptions to any of the guidelines must be submitted, in writing, by the chair to the member of the Board of Directors with the appropriate portfolio responsibilities.
Committee Member Position Description
Reports to the committee chair. Actively participates in the work of the committee; provides thoughtful and timely input to the deliberations of the committee; focuses on the best interests of the association and the committee rather than on personal or constituent interests; and works toward fulfilling the committee's goals.
- Reviews all relevant material before committee meetings. Makes contributions and voices objective opinions on issues.
- Attends committee meetings.
- Carries out individual assignments made by the committee chair.
- Represents the committee in meetings of other association groups as directed by the committee chair.
- Promotes clarity within the committee on the committee's role and how it supports and fits within the interests of the association.
Committee Volunteer Forms received in the RIMS office are forwarded to the appropriate committee chair for review and consideration. The volunteer submission pages will be open on August 1st and you are encouraged to submit by October 15th. The process of volunteer selection takes several weeks. Committee terms run from January 1 - December 31 of each year.