Fundamentals of Insurance
August 20 - 21 and August 24
9:00 am – 3:00 pm ET (August 20 – 21) | 9:00 am – 12:00 pm ET (August 24)
Registration closes August 13. Register now for the August 20 workshop.
September 14 - 16
10:00 am – 5:00 pm ET (September 14 – 15) | 10:00 am – 1:00 pm ET (September 16)
Registration closes September 7. Register now for the September 14 workshop.
RIMS Members: $600 USD | Non-Members: $1,000 USD (see registration details below to purchase)
Elise Farnham, President of Illumine Consulting | View instructor profile
Continuing Education Credits
Earn up to 13 hours of CE and 13.2 hours for CPE credits. Check if your state is eligible for CE credits. Click here for details.
As one of the main forms of risk transfer, insurance is a complex and critical part of the foundation of any risk management program. This workshop covers the basics of insurance, from insurance terms and concepts to what’s included in a policy and which types are available. The course will detail the different exposures corporations face, including those covered by property, casualty and marine insurances, as well as a brief section on government. Using real-world examples and group discussions, participants will learn how to assess appropriate coverage for an organization, how to apply and protect assets, and even how to break down an insurance contract.
- Live online training
- Interactive Zoom meetings
- Three sessions with 15 total hours of training
- 10-minute breaks every hour and an hour lunch
- Group exercises, polling and chat
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Review an insurance policy to determine how coverage is applied
- Know how to purchase insurance and which types of insurance are available
- Understand how insurance provides a financial transfer of risk
- Use insurance terms and concepts correctly
- Analyze appropriate coverage for the exposures faced by the organization
- Protect the assets of the organization through the purchase of insurance
WHAT YOU WILL TAKE AWAY
- Definitions of insurance applications and basic insurance
- Legal principles and contract construction
- Examples of policies, including: casualty, property, workers’ compensation, professional liability, transportation, crime and surety bonding
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- New risk professionals
- Claims professionals
- Loss control professionals
- Legal counsel
August 20 – 21, and 24
September 14 – 16
For registration assistance, please contact our Client Services Team at CST@RIMS.org.