Fundamentals of Risk Management
This virtual workshop clarifies the dimensions of risk management and how to be a risk professional, specifically for those new to the discipline. Executives use these fundamentals to create, protect and realize enterprise value.
June 15 – 16 | 11:00 am – 5:00 pm ET
Registration is closed for this event.
Instructor: Ken Baker, Principal, Enterprise Risk Consulting
RIMS Members: $775 USD | Non-Members: $1,175 USD (see registration details below to purchase)
This course incorporates the following modules:
- Why risk management?
- Purpose of risk management
- Risk management as a function
- Risk management as a process
- Risk management as a discipline
- Risk management as a profession
Each module has correlating points of study where participants analyze the information and participate in real-world case studies.
WHAT YOU WILL TAKE AWAY
This course introduces you to the fundamentals of risk management and how the practice is used in business every day, whether you are a large corporation, a nonprofit, or a government agency. In addition, it will teach you how to:
- Communicate the principles of risk management at all organizational levels
- Create awareness about and actions to prevent excessive levels of risk that could lead to adverse consequences
- Foster a collaborative and consultative risk management environment within your organization
- Demonstrate business insight and leadership abilities
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
In this workshop you learn how understanding the fundamentals of risk management can be used to form decisions beneficial to your organization. Course participants will walk away with the ability to:
- Understand the basics and evolution of risk management
- Navigate the dynamic universe of risk management from a beginner’s standpoint
- Know risk management as a function, a process, a discipline and a profession
- Extend knowledge of risk management purpose and principles to your organization
- Use a foundational understanding of risk management processes, tools and techniques for real-world business application
- Understand risk management as a discipline for decision making
Participants engage in activities and interactions designed to reinforce course concepts. RIMS professional instructional designers construct the activities so that the attendees learn from each other as well as from the experienced facilitators. Examples of exercises include:
- Why risk management “Aha” moment
- Terms and definitions puzzle
- Roles and responsibilities
- Organizational chart analysis
- Risk management as a process word game
- Risk management as a principle word game
- “Aha” moment worksheet
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Those new to risk management
- Entry-level risk managers
- Non-risk managers at intermediate level
- Online, instructor-led
- Interactive Zoom meetings
- Two sessions with 15 total hours of training
- 10-minute breaks every hour and a 30 minute lunch
- Group exercises, polling and chat
August 18 – 19, 2021
November 4 – 5, 2021
For registration assistance, please contact our Client Services Team at CST@RIMS.org.
Cancellations and Refunds
RIMS reserves the right to cancel a course if conditions warrant. In the event of such a cancellation, registration fees will be refunded.
All requests for refunds or changes must be submitted in writing to RIMS at pd@RIMS.org. Registrants who cancel 15 business days or less prior to the start of the workshop can send a replacement from their company or receive credit to attend another workshop with the same duration and cost within a year of the cancelled registration. Please note if the member rate was paid for the original registration and you elect to send a replacement or transfer the credit to another employee of your organization who is not a member, an additional fee will be charged to offset the difference between the member and nonmember rate. No refunds will be issued for cancellations less than 15 days from the start of the workshop.