Applying for RIMS-CRMP
Ready to become a RIMS-Certified Risk Management Professional? Congratulations on making a decision that will increase your career trajectory and establish you as a credible, ethical member of the profession. Start now to join an elite group of risk professionals.Apply Now
Degree and Experience Requirement
Bachelor’s degree1 or higher (or global equivalent) in risk management, and
One year of full-time work experience (or full-time equivalence) in risk management2
Student enrolled in the final year of a bachelor’s degree program or higher (or global equivalent) in risk management.3
Bachelor’s degree or higher (or global equivalent) in non-risk management area of study, and
Three years of full-time work experience (or full-time equivalence) in risk management1
Non-Degree Experience Requirement
Seven years of risk management experience1
Possessing the Associate in Risk Management (ARM) and/or Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation counts towards two years of risk management experience.
1Degrees must be obtained from accredited or equivalent schools of higher education.
2Risk Management Experience is occupational experience that leverages the opportunities and uncertainties associated with an organization’s goals and objectives. This includes implementing, developing or leading the risk management practices that enable an organization to make risk-effective decisions that create and sustain value. (Internships count toward risk management experience.)
3Students may apply for the certification and take the examination but will not be awarded the certification and may not hold themselves as certification holders until after passing the exam, completing the degree requirement, and demonstrating one-year of full-time experience in risk management.
Process for Applying
1. Review the eligibility requirements above
2. If you are eligible, complete the online application.
The application includes the following sections:
• Applicant Contact Information
• Code of Ethics, Disclosure and Attestations
• Higher Academic Education
• Qualifying Employment Experience
• Payment (Your application cannot be approved until payment is made.)
Before you start your application, make sure your supporting documents are ready. Depending on your eligibility, you are required to provide one or more of the following:
• Official university transcript
• Letter from the Registrar confirming dates of attendance—grades not required. (Copies of photographs of a diploma will not be accepted.)
• Employment verification form (Supervisor or HR Manager signature required)
3. After you’re approved, sign up for the exam.
You must take the exam within your authorized six-month timeframe. The RIMS-CRMP certifications exam is offered throughout the year. (Note: If you miss your timeframe, the examination fee will be forfeited and you will have to reapply as a new applicant.)
The RIMS-CRMP exam is available as a computer-based test at Pearson VUE Test Centers around the world. Find your exam location.
4. Prepare for the exam.
Review the exam domains and required reading to decide what you should study based on your risk management knowledge. Then download the RIMS-CRMP Study Guide.
5. Take the exam at your local Pearson VUE Test Center and pass
After you pass the exam, we will send you a certificate suitable for display and your RIMS-CRMP lapel pin. Your RIMS-CRMP Certification is valid for two years.
RIMS Members $350 | Non-Members $500
RIMS Members $250 | Non-Members $350
(includes nonrefundable $100 application processing fee)
RIMS membership is not a prerequisite for certification.
Achieving certification does not constitute RIMS membership.
The RIMS-CRMP Certification program does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
RIMS understands the importance of impartiality in carrying out its certification activities, manages conflict of interest, and ensures the objectivity of its certification activities.
- RIMS membership is not a prerequisite for certification.
- Achieving certification does not constitute RIMS membership.
- RIMS and RIMS-CRMP does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, national origin, marital status or physical disabilities.
- RIMS understands the importance of impartiality in carrying out its certification activities, manages conflicts of interest and ensures the objectivity of its certification activities.